History

 

LODGE THORNTREE No. 512

 

LODGE HISTORY

 

Alongside the Pollokshaws to Stewarton Road and the Auldhouse Burn, just to the north of Spiers Bridge, there was a tract of steeply sloping ground locally known as the ‘Thorneybank’ – from the abundance of thorn trees that grew in this area – this later became known as Thornliebank. The hamlet, which was established beside this feature, assumed the name.

When Lodge Thorntree was founded Thornliebank was but a village consisting of a main street composed of "lands" of houses with a few side streets and buildings which, with a few exceptions, were plain even to meanness. The village was dominated by the huge chimneys of the Printfield Calico Print and Dyeworks, which utilised the plentiful supply of water from the Auldhouse Burn. But for those works there would have been no Thornliebank. The village grew with the works and hardly a household was not dependant on them for its existence.

That some members of the Masonic fraternity dwelt within the village, are confirmed by the following extract from the Minutes of The Pollokshaws Royal Arch Lodge, No. 153. "On 7th May 1832, it was unanimously agreed that we should give our brethren in Thornliebank a night in Masonry and Harmony". Most probably in the Rob Roy Tavern at the corner of Kennishead Road and Main Street. The visit to the village of calico printers took place one week later. 

The desire to raise a lodge in the village led to the presentation of a petition to Grand Lodge sponsored by Pollokshaws Royal Arch Lodge, No. 153 and Lodge St John Busby, No. 458. The petitioners were as follows:-

John Horner, 458, St John Busby. R.W.M.

Robert Scobie, 458, St John Busby. D.M.

James Smith, 458, St John Busby. S.M.

William Charlton, 195 St John RA Campsie. S.Warden

Robert McEwan, 458, St John Busby. J. Warden

William Graham 307, Union & Crown, Barrhead. Secretary

John Barr, 153, Pollokshaws RA. Treasurer

James Scott, 458, St John Busby. S. Deacon

John Smith, 458, St John Busby. J. Deacon

Francis Boyd, 153, Pollokshaws RA. Inner Guard

John Henderson, 153, Pollokshaws RA. Tyler

 

On 6th November, 1871 a Charter was granted. On 15th December, 1871, the Lodge held their first meeting in the village school room with the aforementioned Petitioners occupying the offices shown against their names. A deputation from Lodge St John Busby 458 was received and three candidates Lachlan McKellar, Archibald McKellar and James McMillan, were initiated, passed and raised.

Consecration took place on 17th February, 1872 by Brother Colonel Campbell, (later 1st Lord  Blythswood), Provincial Grand Master of Renfrewshire East who installed the office bearers as previously given, with the addition of Brother James McMillan as Bible Bearer and Bro. Rev. George Campbell, of Eastwood Parish, as Chaplain. It is interesting to note that on this occasion, after the Lodge had been opened in due and ancient form, the 22 lodges attending were marshalled in procession and preceded through the village accompanied by the Brass Band of the Renfrewshire Rifle Volunteers. On return to the lodge room, Consecration and Installation took place. Afterwards the Lodge was reduced from Labour to Refreshment which was amply supplied by Mr Alexander Crum of Thornliebank (the owner of the Printworks).

The Lodge met on the first Friday of each month which appear in the minutes as the "Monthly Meeting". Then "Emergency Meetings" were inserted, as required, when the Lodge would meet on any night of the week, which suited a majority of the brethren, except Sunday. Start times changed too, 5.30pm., 7pm., 7.30pm., 8pm. and 9pm. being used, evidently to suit the business on hand when up to five candidates could be Initiated, Passed and Raised, all on the same evening. After the first couple of years of frenetic activity the Lodge appears to have settled into a more fortnightly arrangement, the second meeting now called the "Middle Meeting" was held on a Saturday night usually at 6.30pm.

Apart from the reference to the school room in the minutes of the first meeting, little reference as to where the Lodge first met were given. That the Lodge was using the same venue frequently, appears in the minute of the Emergency Meeting of 18th December 1873,  "The R.W.M. stated that he had made arrangements with Mrs Lambie, (Viz) that she was to receive one pound per year also she was to have the Hall ready for us and the fire kindled if necessary". Another reference appears regarding the school in the Minute of 3rd September 1875, "The Lodge Thorntree No. 512 on the Roll of Grand Lodge of Scotland met in their regular place of meeting Mr McNab’s School, Thornliebank".

That the availability of this venue was doubtful for some of their other meetings, apart from the Monthly Meeting, the following extract appears later that year; "Br. Scobie D.M. said that, according to appointment, he had called on the Master of Good Templars and was happy to inform us that he had come to an agreement with him that we should secure the hall for our Masonic Instruction one Saturday in the month". They were still meeting there in May1876 as it was minuted that they had to meet in the "Cooking Depot", the Templars requiring their hall on one particular evening in that month.

In the summer of 1877, the Lodge agreed to seek the permission of the proprietor of Rouken Glen, Alexander Crum Esq., to visit the glen (being at that time a private estate), which was graciously granted. Therefore on 11th August an Emergency Meeting was held and after the Lodge had been opened, the Brethren "to the number of about 75 with a number of visiting Brethren were marshalled in proper and Masonic order for the proposed walk to the Rouken Glen", permission having been granted to the Lodge to appear before the outside world in Masonic Regalia by the Provincial Grand Master Colonel Campbell of Blythswood. The procession was preceded by the Band of the 3rd Battalion of the R.R.V. On arrival at the mansion house, the company was received by the Proprietor and his Lady. Cake and wine having been handed round, thanks were expressed by the R.W.M., the Brethren then engaged in a ramble about the glen. Return was made to the Lodge Room where an enjoyable evening was spent in harmony. In commemoration of this special day, the Brethren had the bridge and the waterfall at Rouken Glen incorporated into the Lodge Crest along with the Thorn Tree.

That same summer a motion for discussion was brought forward, "that a small deputation of the Lodge Thorntree respectfully wait on Alexander Crum Esquire of Thornliebank to solicit a place of meeting for the Lodge Thorntree on the probability of our present meeting place being converted into other purposes". This wish was eventually granted as in early 1887 (a full ten years later) they began to refer to "their Hall" or "the Masonic Hall" and that they must have been reasonably secure in their tenure of this Hall to discuss the feasibility of purchasing a second hand Harmonium for ritual and harmony use. The premises consisted of a Hall an Ante Room and a Lobby as a Mrs Reid was granted 10/- (ten shillings) per annum for the cleaning thereof. The premises were located on the upper floor of the two storey building as the hall had to be evacuated during one regular meeting as gas was escaping from the premises below (gas being the principal method of lighting in those days). The fact that some of the brethren were not too happy with the new Hall  was recorded in May 1888 when Bro. F. Waterson put forward a notice of motion regarding the Hall not being properly ventilated and seeking to have this put right forthwith. A committee was then set up to look into remedial action and report back. In August of that year the committee reported that permission had been granted by Mr Crum to make the necessary changes as long as it was at the Lodge’s expense and Ten Pounds (quite a sum in those days) was voted to be set aside for that purpose. Where this Hall was located in the Village was never mentioned, presumably within or beside the factory grounds. The windows of this Hall evidently had a prominent position over the main street, as an account was passed for painting the windows facing Main Street. The local Orange Order asked permission to put their flag in one of the windows on July 12th 1888. This request was refused: "seeing that as Freemasons, we could not recognize anything that might be construed into us having a sectarian or political tendency".The Lodge did fly their own flag though, in August of that year, to commemorate the visit of Queen Victoria to the County after opening the Great Exhibition in Glasgow. Permission to do so was requested from the Grand Master by the following letter written in the loquacious style of the day.

Lodge Thorntree No. 512

Thornliebank

August 20th 1888.

Col. Sir A.C. Campbell, Baronet, L.L.D. M.P.

Most worshipful Sir,

With all due deference, I am directed to inform you that at a Regular Meeting of the above Lodge held on 18th inst. a motion was unanimously adopted that our Lodge Flag be displayed from the window of our Hall, on the occasion of the visit of Her Most Gracious Majesty, Queen Victoria, on Wednesday 22nd August.

We have been prompted to do so from a desire to evince to the neutral world and the community at large that we can appreciate the exalted honour conferred upon you in having such an illustrious guest and to signalize, although in an apparently trifling yet faithful manner, our unswerving allegiance and devotion to her Throne and person and the deep attachment we cherish towards her as the well beloved Sovereign of our native land.

We wish it also to testify, in some measure, to the high esteem and respect in which you are held by the Craft in general. Not only as Grand Master of Scotland but as a man and a Mason. We trust that our intention when acted upon will meet with your approbation. Apologizing for trespassing upon your valuable time.

                     I am, Honoured Sir and Most Worshipful Grand Master,

                                                       Your obedient and humble servant

                                Robert McNally, Secretary.

Lt. Col. Sir Archibald Campbell, Baronet, later 1st Lord Blythswood, Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason of Scotland, acting as Member of Parliament for the Constituency of West Renfrewshire who was one of the principal hosts to the Queen during her visit must have had a lot on his mind but still found time to reply, the very next day, to grant the request in equally loquacious terms saying that he would personally inform Sir Henry Ponsonby (the Queen’s Private Secretary) of the lodge’s act of loyalty.

At the Monthly Meeting of 5th June 1896 it was announced by the R.W.M. that no business could be conducted at this meeting as our Charter had been suspended by Grand Lodge. Apparently the Lodge was in breach of the newly made Grand Lodge Law that no brother could receive his next degree within an interval of not less than fourteen days. After involvement of the Provincial Grand Lodge and promises made that this breach would not occur again in the future "and a desire to give due obedience to Grand Lodge at all times", the Charter was restored and full meetings resumed in July.

At the Regular Meeting on 17th of May 1902 it was announced that intimation had been received that the Crum family had sold the meeting premises to the Calico Printers Association headquartered in Manchester and that rent to this body would be due to their agents, The Thornliebank Coy Ltd, at two pounds ten shillings per annum, which ended their idyllic rent free existence. This did not stop them, however, from having to maintain the property at their own expense. Bills for payment included new linoleum being required, an extension to the building to incorporate a W.C., new fire grate for the ante room, repainting the hall including masonic emblems and six new spittoons (no doubt for the pipe smokers, which would be many, no wonder there were complaints about the ventilation).

The Great War of 1914-18 began with little affect on the day to day business of the Lodge with the exception of the Minute from the first Regular Meeting in September which stated that the assembled brethren broke into spontaneous singing of the National Anthem after the lodge was closed. Early in the next year the Provincial Grand Lodge of Renfrewshire East advised it's daughter lodges to pay due attention to the newly passed Liquor Control Act of 1915 and refrain from serving spiritous liquors at lodge meetings, which was scrupulously observed for the remainder of the war.

A Roll of Honour was set up by the Lodge to include all members who had taken up the call to arms which, we are informed in 1916, contained 42 names. This roll has unfortunately been lost to the Lodge but some of the brethren on this list have been taken from entries in the Minute Books as correspondence to and from these brethren during their war service. They are as Follows -

James Andrew, John Campbell, James Cameron, James Dickson, John W. Douglas, Lieut. William C. Downs, Sergt. William Edgar, John Faulds, Robert Gray, James Hamilton, Corp. Oliver Hannah, Thomas A. Jackson, J.C. Law, John Leitch, Alex McAllister, J. McAuslan, R.C. McDowall, Sergt. James McHaffie, Sergt. Malcolm MacLeod, John Paterson, Capt. R. Kessan Smith, Thomas Tait Jnr, William Warren and Duncan McA. West. (Their rank has been shown only when given). Killed in action - Thomas A. Jackson, Sergt. James McHaffie and John Paterson. Sergeant James McHaffie (H.L.I.) and John Campbell (RN) received the Distinguished Conduct Medal. The R.W.M. Duncan McA. West was called to His Majesties Service in 1916 during his term of office.

In the days when Freemasonry was accorded its rightful place at the laying of foundation stones with Masonic ceremonial, the Lodge attended a considerable number within and without the area. Of intimate local interest, the following are worthy of note:-

17th October, 1876 – Laying of Foundation Stone of GPO Building, George Square by the Prince of Wales, HRH Prince Albert Edward (the future King Edward VII).

26th July 1879 - Memorial Stone of the Public Hall, Thornliebank.

29th September, 1883 - Foundation of the new Court House Building, Paisley.

3rd October, 1885 - Foundation Stone of the Langside Established Church, (now Langside Old Parish Church).

9th May, 1891 - Foundation Stone of Thornliebank (later Woodlands) Parish Church.

November 1895 – Memorial Stone of Alexander Crum (the Lodge’s great benefactor) incorporated into the foundation of the New Public Library Thornliebank.

2nd June, 1951 - Re-laying of the original Foundation Stone on the site of the re-erected Church of St James, Pollok.

Following the Great War there was a large influx of new members and the Lodge became the centre for the social life of the community. Many social events were organised and conducted for the local charities. In 1920 the Calico printers Association offered the Lodge the oportunity to purchase the  block of buildings which comprised of the Lodge Meeting Hall and the Mission Hall on the first floor, Bro. Strachan's Shop and Miss Jamieson's Shop and Dwelling House on the ground floor. After much deliberation the Lodge agreed to instruct the Secretary to make an offer of £1,500. Robert Strachan, Family Grocer & Baker, who had become a member of the Lodge in 1908 and who was tenant of the shop immediately below the meeting hall, put in a rival bid. After a period of consultation an agreement was reached, that the premises would be purchased by Bro. Strachan, who would then rent the upstairs hall to the Lodge in the evenings, giving them the right to sub-let the hall at their own discretion. So commenced a happy period of the lodge's history with the Lodge having untramelled use of the hall in the evenings and Bro. Strachan having his Tea Room by day and providing the Lodge with purveys when required.

On Saturday, 5th November, 1921 the 50th anniversary was marked with "Jubilee Celebrations" held in the Public Hall, when " a goodly company sat down to dinner under the chairmanship of Bro. Robert Craig R.W.M. Time honoured toasts were submitted and pledged where after a musical programme was sustained  by several members of the Lodge". Unfortunately on a sour note, several years later (1934), R Craig was stripped of all Masonic privileges and expelled from the Craft for embezzling £517 (a considerable amount at that time) whilst acting as Secretary/Treasurer of the Penny Savings Bank of the Newton Mearns Co-operative Society Ltd. between 1920 and 1931.  

The depression years of the early twenties saw the departure overseas of a considerable number of Brethren and again, on the closing of the Printfield Printworks in 1930, members journeyed south to continue their crafts. In 1927 the Lodge commenced the now familiar sequence of 1st and 3rd Friday Regular Meetings instead of the 1st Friday and 3rd Saturday "monthly" and "middle " meetings of the previous 56 years.

At the Regular Meeting on Friday 4th January 1935 Bro. James Hadden received the heartfelt congratulations of the Brethren for having been awarded the Kings Police Medal for Gallantry and was invested with this award by King George V at a ceremony in Buckingham Palace one month later.

Between the wars the Lodge energetically pursued its interest and participation in all things local - to mention just one - the occasion of the Annual Service at the War Memorial situated in the School Grounds when the Brethren, wearing regalia, joined with the several organisations.

At the outset of the Second World War the Brethren agreed that a Service Fund be established to give disbursements to "our Thorntree brethren who are giving active service in His Majesties Forces". Regular disbursements, usually in the form of money or parcels, were donated to the forces brethren throughout the war.

At the Regular Meeting of the Lodge on Friday the 21st March 1941, the RWM, Bro. John Muir, announced that the planned evening’s ceremony of the Mark Degree would not take place owing to the main hall being used by evacuees of the recent air raids over the south side area of the city and it was uncertain how long this situation would prevail. Thankfully (for the Evacuees) the situation was resolved quickly and the Brethren were able to hold their normal meeting on the 4th April. At this meeting a letter was received from Lodge St John Busby 458 stating that they were obliged to vacate their hall in favour of the Military that they had approached the hall owner, Bro. Robert Strachan of 512, for the use of Thorntree Hall and were respectfully requesting the use of the Lodge furniture, to which the Brethren unanimously agreed.

During the Second World War many of the brethren served in the Forces. On the 10th January, 1947, a "Welcome Home Dinner" was given to these Brethren and each received in gift a Wallet with a sum of money.

On Friday, 15th October, 1948 the Ex-Service Brethren presented to the Lodge a new altar in memory of their fallen comrades:-

 

Bro. William Cunningham, Merchant Navy.                       Bro.  Hamilton Durnan, Royal Air Force

Bro. William S. McKenzie, Army.

 

Following the Unveiling of the Gift by the reigning Provincial Grand Master Bro. S.W. Love (P.M. 512), a Service of Dedication was held.

On Saturday 20th November 1948, over seventy members of the Lodge visited our namesake, Lodge Thorntree No. 1038, at Prestonpans East Lothian, the deputation was headed by the R.W.M. Bro. Charles Nixon J.P. They were given a very warm welcome from the R.W.M. of 1038 Bro. David Ostler and thereafter four members of 1038 were raised to the Sublime Degree of Master Mason by a team from 512 led by Bro. William Durnan P.M. After the meeting our members enjoyed the exceptional hospitality of 1038 during which, speeches were made hoping that this would become the forerunner of many more meetings in the future. A gift of Mallet and Stand was presented by the R.W.M., on behalf of the brethren of 512, by way of thanks for the way they had been so warmly received by the brethren of 1038.

Bro. Robert Strachan died in late 1950, his widow offered the Lodge the opportunity of purchasing the Hall, which was a provision of his will, in 1951. The Lodge wrestled with this offer for several months before deciding that they could not afford the almost £2,700 it would cost to purchase it (the Hall only) and put into order several defects which came to light in a survey of the property. The Building and Hall were therefore sold to Cochranes the grocery chain who now rented the shop on the ground floor, but they had little interest in the hall upstairs. Renfrew County Council bought the hall from Cochranes Ltd. as a Community Facility and commenced letting the hall  from January 1953.

On Tuesday 16th October, 1951 the 80th Anniversary was marked by a Celebration Dinner and Harmony, Bro. James Barclay R.W.M. presiding. Bro. John McLuggage who had joined the Lodge in 1915, died in February 1956. He was still in office and had been Tyler since 1918 (38 consecutive years). He had been given the honorary grand rank of Grand Inner Guard for his services to freemasonry.

The Lodge celebrated its Centenary on Saturday 4th December, 1971 with a re-dedication ceremony. A deputation from the Grand Lodge of Scotland, headed by the Most Worshipful Grand Master Mason, Bro. D. Lidell-Granger of Ayton, C.St J; D.L.: F.S.A. (Scot) was admitted by the R.W.M. Bro. John Rannochan. The re-dedication was carried out by Bro. the Rev. J. Stuart Lochrie. The Brethren of the Lodge whilst celebrating 100 years of Freemasonry in Thornliebank deeply regretted the passing of Bro. Samuel W. Love P.M., Past Provincial Grand Master of Renfrewshire East, some four days previously on St Andrews Day. Bro. Love had taken an active part in the preparations for the centenary and would have been a central figure at the re-dedication. It had been planned that he would present the R.W.M. with a new Chain of Office. The Centenary Dance was held the following October in Woodfarm Hall where the brethren their ladies and invited guests enjoyed an entertaining evening.

In 1975 Bro. G. Neil McK. White P.M. was honoured by Grand Lodge by being appointed to the rank of Hon. Grand Marshall. On the 1st May, 1976, Bro. Archibald McD. Hutchison P.M. of 512 was installed as the Provincial Grand Master of Renfrewshire East. The Lodge was well represented, for such an important occasion. Regrettably, Bro. Hutchison would serve only a short time in this office, passing away in 1977. In the same year Bro James Sanderson P.M. was honoured by Grand Lodge with the rank of Hon. Grand Junior Deacon. 

At the regular meeting on 16th February, 1979, which happened to be the night of the Provincial Visitation, it was announced with deep regret that the R.W.M. Bro. Thomas Torrance Jnr. had been called to the Grand Lodge above, having had suffered a severe and sudden heart attack. The Lodge went into mourning for a period of one month. Only two weeks after the death of their R.W.M., the Lodge received the devastating news of the death of the W.J.W. Bro. Robert Jackson. As a result of these tragic deaths, it was agreed by the General Committee to drop the position of Substitute Master as a progressive office. This allowed W.S.W. to remain in that office for a further year, and a natural progression of all other offices.

During the 1970’s Lodges Thorntree, Pollokshaws Royal Arch, Union & Crown, Thistle & Crown, St Christopher and Nitshill joined together to form a charity committee, known as the North East Corner. This committee raised large sums for charitable causes, through various events such as race nights, smoker evenings, five a side football competitions and swimming Galas. In 1982, the NEC organised a sponsored walk from Pollokshaws Burgh Hall to Neilston Masonic Temple, calling at each Lodge along the way. This walk became an annual event, although sensibly the route was reversed which resulted in the walk being "downhill". The NEC also regularly visited the ex-Servicemen of Erskine Hospital. Regrettably, the committee was wound up in 1992 after twenty years of worthwhile fund-raising.

The hall in Main Street being on the upper floor of the building, was approached by a long flight of stairs and an even longer L shaped corridor and was never really ideally suited as to facilities and to ease of use. So late in 1983 the hall was closed, the insides demolished and rebuilt leaving only the outside shell of the original building. During this time the Lodge meetings were re-located for a while to Carnwadric Parish Church Hall where on the 6th April, 1984 two football players from the Ibrox area were admitted into Freemasonry, namely Bro. Alistair McCoist and Bro. David Mitchell, when 179 Brethren from 49 Lodges signed the book. All eyes may have been on the Rangers players but the third initiate was Bro. Derek Jarvie who went on to become the 101st Master of Lodge Thorntree. In September of 1984 our good friends at Lodge St Christopher offered the use of their premises at Broompark Farm, this necessitated a change of meeting nights to the first and third Mondays of the month. This proved to be an unsettling time for the Lodge and it was only with unstinting support of the Brethren that saw the Lodge through this testing period. Thorntree Hall, newly renovated, re-opened in May 1985 and the Lodge returned to its revamped surroundings, the meeting nights reverting to the first and third Fridays.

1986 saw the 250th Anniversary Celebrations of the Grand Lodge of Scotland and many brethren of 512 had the opportunity to join with Freemasons from all over the world in the various celebratory events. During the Installation Meeting of that year the incoming R.W.M. Bro. Andrew Meldrum had the honour of presenting Bro. John Waterson P.M. with a Grand Lodge 250th Anniversary Commemoration Medal. This was in recognition of his 50 years of service as a Past Master.

In January, 1991 Bro. Duncan McG. Tennent P.M. was installed as Provincial Grand Senior Warden and to add to this great achievement for Bro. Tennent and honour to the Lodge, he was asked to accept a commission as Provincial Grand Substitute Master and was commissioned in Busby in May 1992. Later that year on the 8th November, the Brethren joined our sister Lodges of the Province in a march through the streets of Renfrew, from the premises of Lodge Prince of Wales to Renfrew High Parish Church. The parade paused at the War Memorial in order that a wreath be laid on behalf of the Brethren of the Province by the Provincial Grand Master of Renfrewshire East Bro. Alexander G. Murray. On arrival at the church, a Divine Service of Remembrance took place.

In September 1993, 220 Brethren and their guests attended a boxing night in the Redhurst Hotel, at which several Scottish sporting personalities were present. This event was organised by Bro. William Ferns and Bro. Alan Herbert Worshipful Wardens, in aid of the 125th Anniversary Fund and was a complete success.

The 125th Anniversary Celebrations of the Lodge took place on Friday 8th November, 1996 and commenced with a ceremony of re-Dedication and Consecration, led by the Provincial Grand Master of Renfrewshire East Bro. Alexander G. Murray, at the conclusion of which a Celebration Dinner and Harmony took place, presided over by the R.W.M. Bro. Alan F. Herbert and heartily enjoyed by the brethren present.

On 25th December, 1999, the Lodge learned that Bro. Archie Duff P.M. had finally lost his long fight against bone cancer. In recognition of his selfless service for the Lodge, the Brethren agreed that a new set of Square & Compasses be purchased and suitably inscribed with his name.

In the affairs of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Renfrewshire East, Lodge Thorntree has given long and faithful service. Senior office bearers have included:-

 

Provincial Senior Grand Wardens

Brothers John Waterson, James Graham, James Fraser, James Jamieson, Archibald McD. Hutchison,

John H. Blair, Duncan McG. Tennent

 

Provincial Grand Substitute Masters

Brothers Samuel W. Love, Duncan McG. Tennent

 

Provincial Grand Depute Master

Brother Archibald McD Hutchison

 

Provincial Grand Secretaries

Brothers Archibald McD. Hutchison, James Sanderson

 

Provincial Grand Masters

Brothers Samuel W. Love, Archibald McD. Hutchison

 

In more recent times, Bro. Dr. Iain Cameron P.M. was appointed to the Education Committee (2003).  Bro. Andrew Lilley P.M. to the board of Stewards (2004). Bro. David Yule P.M. to the board of Stewards (2012). On 26th January 2013, Bro. John McNeill P.M. Secretary received the rank of Honorary Provincial Grand Secretary.

On 30th January 2016, Bro. John Hastings McMillan P.M. Treasurer received the rank of Honorary Provincial Grand Assistant Secretary.

Our sincere thanks for all research to Bro. John McMillan P.M.